Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Handwoven Birthday Pillow for my grandson

My grandson's 10th birthday is this coming week and one of the things that he requested was a handwoven pillow.  I had woven one for my eldest grandson to take along on traveling high school soccer games and Clayton always admired it.
What's really awesome is that Clayton has always been interested in my fiber arts, starting at a very young age playing with wool from my sheep!  He's one of those kids who picks up on handcrafts and building things naturally.  He could build a whole new world with Legos!!
My two grown daughters have somehow passed through childhood without a desire to learn how to spin or knit or weave so I'm thrilled that a grandson might fill that void!  I think that growing up visiting our sheep farm and seeing the natural process in which wool turns into fiber helped create an interest.
Clayton has graduated from a potholder loom and is now weaving on a tabletop.  Can't wait till he ready for my large German rug loom!!!
He picked out the color of wool Pendleton Mill selvages that he liked best and we both agreed that a rectangle would be a fun shape.  Now, my only concern is that Fozzie, his dog, does not take a fancy to it.  I need to speak with Clayton about that!!




No comments:

Post a Comment