Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Critter Weaving Warp Cross Saver

A very convenient tool for holding a warp cross.  Warp crosses are formed when a weaver winds her warp threads onto a warping board.  At one end a "cross" is formed that causes the threads to cross over one another.  When the warp is taken off the board, the cross ends are cut and sleyed onto the loom starting with the top thread.
  
This method of sleying keeps the threads in line so that they do not tangle when the warp is wound on.
  
Some weaver's use lease sticks which are long sticks that are placed through the cross.  Others, myself included, hold the threads laced through their hand and pick each thread off as they sley the reed.  This method is tedious since you pretty much need to thread the whole handful at one time.  When there are a large quantity of threads this is tiresome and your palms get sweaty which wads up the threads.

Critter Cross Saver to the rescue!!!!  My personal critter cross saver happens to be a soft plastic puppet dinosaur that was offered by Pizza Hut in 1988 to promote a movie.  It belonged to one of my daughters who passed it on to one of their kids who happened to bring it to Grandma's on a visit.  Well, it never when back home and I'm still hoping that they don't see that I still have it!.

It holds the warp cross perfectly and I tie it onto the cloth beam with a shoelace.  This way I can warp as much as I want and then leave it.  My hands are free while I'm threading and I don't have to worry about keeping my hand in one position.

Almost any type of small toy or gadget that has 4 upturned "legs" will do.  I especially like mine because the legs curve in a bit which keeps the threads from slipping off.  It's especially nice when you're working on a wide warp.

No comments:

Post a Comment